212 358 0785 doc@abcanimalhosp.com
Dog in pile of leaves

House Plants to be Cautious of, as a Pet Parent this Spring

Spring is here, and finally, time to do some spring cleaning and redecorate for the warmer months! Living in New York City has little greenery, and house plants are the best way to brighten your home and bring lush greenery into your house. However, as a pet owner, you must be cautious of the plants you get, as many plants are toxic for cats and dogs. We will be informing you of the most common household plants to be sure to steer clear of when picking out your plants for this Spring:

 

Lilies

Are first on the list as they are very beautiful plants with lovely flowers, but lilies no matter how beautiful are one of the most toxic house plants to pets. If they are ingested or licked even if it is pollen off of your pet’s fur this will cause kidney failure and death.

Oats and Honey

Aloe

A great rescue for sunburnt skin in the summer months is not as kind in its natural state. If your pet chews and ingests the plant your pet will experience vomiting, diarrhea, and will become lethargic.

Peanut Butter

Jade Plant

A very common succulent is not a good choice as a house plant if you have pets in your home. Chewing on these succulents can lead to vomiting, depression, dizziness, and loss of balance.

Sago Palms

Have beautiful dramatic leaves but are highly toxic to pets. They contain cycasin which is a toxin that causes severe liver failure within a few days of digestion. Any part of the plant is toxic and ingestion can be fatal, and you must seek help immediately.

Dog treat

Asparagus Fern

Also known as the emerald fern or the foxtail fern can cause skin irritation if your pet brushes up against the bushy leaves. The berries that blossom from the plant are also toxic and cause vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

Hyacinth

Are beautiful spring blooming perennials but are toxic in their concentrated roots and bulbs. If your pet gets ahold of the bulbs, chewing on these can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, extreme drooling, and burns to the mouth.

ZZ Plant

This is a very common houseplant that is great for plant parents with busy lifestyles. However, the plant contains calcium oxalates and if ingested by your pet can cause swelling of the eyes, mucous membranes, or skin as well as vomiting, stomach ache and diarrhea.

Weeping Fig

Known for its glossy leaves, this house plant can grow in many settings but is toxic to cats and dogs. The enzyme ficin that is found throughout the plant can destroy proteins in dogs that are necessary to repair body tissues. Other symptoms include photo sensitivity, skin irritation (such as: redness, blistering, and inflammation), agitation, diarrhea, drooling, loss of appetite, mouth pain, and vomiting.

Dumb Cane

A popular tropical house plant that requires little upkeep brings life to your space. It is one of the most common houseplants and unfortunately contains oxalate crystals and other toxic enzymes that will burn your pets mouth if chewed on. Other symptoms include: drooling, vomiting, mouth pain, loss of appetite, and difficulty swallowing or breathing.

Bringing a plant to your home is another responsibility, and as a pet owner, you have to ensure that the safety of your pets comes first. Please also find additional resources listed below to see the list of toxic and non-toxic plants to beware of when researching what plants are safe to have in your home.

ASPCA Animal Poison Control

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435